- Printed electronic devices
- Metal oxide based conductors
- Thin film deposition and stability
July 2013 – July 2018 : Assistant Professor
July 2018 – Nov 2022: Associate Professor
Nov 2022 – To date Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Sharma Sonia, Pranith Ramesh and Swaminathan P.; Reduction in the band gap of manganese-doped zinc oxide: Role of the oxidation state; J. Electron. Mater. 12 (2015) 4710-4716.
- Swaminathan P., Grapes M.D., Woll K., Barron S.C., LaVan D.A. and Weihs T.P.; Studying exothermic reactions in the Ni-Al system at rapid heating rates using a nanocalorimeter; J. Appl. Phys. 113 (2013)143509.
- Swaminathan P., Palmer J.S. and Weaver J.H.; Competition between particle for mation and burrowing: Gold on bismuth; Phys. Rev. B 78 (2008) 115416.
- Palmer J.S., Swaminathan P., Babar S. and Weaver J.H.; Solid-state dewetting-mediated aggregation of nanoparticles; Phys. Rev. B 77 (2008)195422.
- Swaminathan P., Rosenberg R.A., Shenoy G.K., Palmer J.S. and Weaver J.H.; Induced magnetism in Cu nanoparticles embedded in Co; Appl. Phys. Lett. 91 (2007) 202506.
- Swaminathan P., Antonov V.N., Soares J.A.N.T., Palmer J.S. and Weaver J.H.; Cd-based II-VI semiconductor nanostructures produced by bufferlayer-assisted growth: Structural evolution and photoluminescence; Phys. Rev. B 73 (2006) 125430.
- Use of second phase material to enhance the stability of metallic coatings, Naval Research Board, 2015-2018.
- Adhesion of gold based coatings on intermetallic films – Research based industrial consultancy, Titan Company Ltd, 2015-2016.
- Ink jet printing of pure and doped luminescent metal oxide films, IIT Madras new faculty seed grant, 2014-2017.
Awards & Recognitions
- Certificate for online course content creation for National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) in 2015.
- Intel Logic Technology Division (LTD) Award Q1 in 2013.
- Mavis Memorial Fund scholarship for outstanding engineering graduate students in research and teaching in 2006.
- Undergraduate core courses – Materials characterisation and physics of materials.
- Graduate elective (introduced) – Electronic materials, devices and fabrication.
- NPTEL online course on Electronic materials, devices and fabrication.
- Video course with 40 hours of lectures. Hosted online in YouTube. More than 45,000 hits.
- MOOC – 20 hour video course on Fundamentals of electronic materials and devices, in Jan-Apr 2016. 4500 registered students. Course administered by NPTEL.