- Nanocrystalline materials
- High entropy alloys
- Bulk metallic glasses
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of phase transformations
- Transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography
May 2004 – till date: Professor
Apr 2016 – till date: Girija & R. Muralidharan Chair Professor
May 2016 – till date: Institute Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Chattopadhyay C. and Murty B.S.; Kinetic modification of the ‘confusion principle’ for metallic glass formation; Scripta Mater. 116 (2016) 7-10.
- Ajeet K. Srivastav, Joysurya Basu, Sanjay Kashyap, Niraj Chawake, Devinder Yadav and Murty B.S.; Crystallographic-shear-phase-driven W O nanowires growth on nanocrystalline W surfaces; Scripta Mater. 18 49 115 (2016) 28-32.
- Arvind Babu D., Majumdar B., Sarkar R., Murty B.S. and Chattopadhyay K.; On the structural stability of melt spun ribbons of Fe Zr B Cu 95-x x 4 1(x = 7 and 9) alloys and correlation with their magnetic properties; Metall. Mater. Trans. 47A (2016) 560-571.
- Karthiselva N.S., Murty B.S. and Srinivasa Rao Bakshi; Low temperature synthesis of dense and ultrafine grained zirconium diboride compacts by reactive spark plasma sintering; Scripta Mater. 110 (2016) 78-81.
- Chattopadhyay C., Satish Idury K.S.N., Jatin Bhatt, Mondal K. and Murty B.S.; Critical evaluation of glass forming ability criteria; Mater. Sci. Tech. 32 (2016) 380-400.
- B.S. Murty, J.W. Yeh and S. Ranganathan; High entropy alloys; Elsevier; ISBN: 978-0-12-800251-3 (2014)
- B. S. Murty, P. Shankar, Baldev Raj, B. B. Rath and J. Murday; Text book on nanoscience and nanotechnology; Universities press; ISBN: 978-3-642-28029-0 (2011)
- Principal Investigator: Austenitic ODS alloys, IGCAR, 2015-2018.
- Principal Investigator: Development of W-Cu functionally graded nanocrystalline material for the first wall component in nuclear fusion power reactor, BRNS, 2015-2018.
- Co-Investigator: Development of high entropy alloy coatings as potential bond coat materials for high temperature turbine engine applications, GTMAP, ARDB, 2016-2019.
Awards & Recognitions
- Recipient of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award, Metallurgist of the Year award and Young Metallurgist award of Ministry of Steel and Mines, GD Birla Gold Medal, MRSI Medal, INAE Young Engineer award, INSA Young Scientist award, ISCA Young Scientist award, Distinguished Alumnus award of VNIT and Life time Achievement award of IIT Madras.
- A Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Indian National Science Academy, Indian Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, Indian Institute of Metals, Asia Pacific Academy of Materials, ASM International and AP Academy of Science.
- Adjunct Professor at Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada and also an Associate faculty of School of Engineering, University of British Columbia.