- Nanocrystalline materials – synthesis, consolidation,characterisation and property evaluation
- Superplasticity of materials (analytical and experimental); superplastic forming
- Metal forming; high temperature deformation behaviour of materials; advanced materials testing
Jul 1998 – Jan 2004: Assistant Professor
Jan 2004 – Feb 2009: Associate Professor
Mar 2009 – till date: Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Padmanabhan K.A., Leuthold J., Wilde G. and Bhattacharya S.S.; On the power law description of low-stress uni-axial steady-state highhomologous- temperature deformation; Mech. Mater. 91 (2015) 177- 193.
- Kumaran C.R., Maneesh Chandran, Krishna Surendra M., Bhattacharya S.S. and Ramachandra Rao M.S.; Growth and characterisation of diamond particles, diamond films and CNT-diamond composite films deposited simultaneously by hot filament CVD; J. Mater. Sci. 50 (2015) 144-156.
- Maneesh Chandran, Bhattacharya S.S. and Ramachandra Rao M.S.; Nanocrystalline diamond coatings on the interior of WC-Co dies for drawing carbon steel tubes: Enhancement of tube properties; Diam. Relat. Mater. 50 (2014) 33-37.
- Maneesh Chandran, Kumaran C.R., Sriram Vijayan, Bhattacharya S.S. and Ramachandra Rao M.S.; Adhesive microcrystalline diamond coating on surface modified non-carbide forming substrate using hot filament CVD; Mater. Express 2 (2012) 2.
- Imteyaz Ahmad Md. and Bhattacharya S.S.; Size effect on the lattice parameters of nanocrystalline anatase; Appl. Phys. Lett. 95 (2009) 191906.
- Imteyaz Ahmad Md., Bhattacharya S.S. and Horst Hahn; Structure, thermal stability and optical properties of boron modified nanocrystalline anatase prepared by chemical vapour synthesis; J. Appl. Phys. 105 (2009) 113526.
- Gaurav Jetly, Richie Khandelwal, Shankar Swaminathan, Imteyaz Ahmad Md and Bhattacharya S.S.; Oxidative electrodeposition of nanocrystalline zinc oxide powders; J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42 (2009) 115305
- Department of Science & Technology (Nano Science and Technology Initiative – NSTI) sponsored project titled, “Development of bulk nanocrystalline materials: Nanoparticle synthesis and consolidation” during 2008-2011.
- Industry supported project under the Infrastructure for Research in High Priority Areas (IRHPA) scheme of the Department of Science & Technology titled, “Establishment of a nano functional materials technology centre at IIT Madras” during 2007-2012.
- Ministry of Human Resources Development sponsored project titled, “Nanocrystalline Titania: Superplastic deformation and diffusion bonding studies” during 2005-2008.
Awards & Recognitions
- Research Fellowship (Forschungsstipendium), Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany 1997.
- Young Engineer, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), 1996.
- Academic distinction in metallurgical engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1985 .