Dept. of MME, IIT Madras is organizing 26th International Symposium on Metastable, Amorphous and Nanostructured Materials (ISMANAM-2019). Please click here for more details.
- Congratulations - Mayur Vaidya’s (PhD Alumni) paper “Phase formation and thermal stability of CoCrFeNi and CoCrFeMnNi equiatomic high entropy alloys: 774 (2019) 856-864” currently features in the list of most downloaded articles of JALCOM.
- Congratulations - Lavanya Raman's (PhD Scholar) paper “Phase evolution of refractory high-entropy alloy CrMoNbTiW during mechanical alloying and spark plasma sintering" got accepted in Journal of Materials Research (2019).
- Congratulations - Ajeet Srivastav's (PhD Alumni) paper “Localized pore evolution assisted densification during spark plasma sintering of nanocrystalline W-5wt.%Mo alloy" got accepted in Scripta Materialia (2019).
- Congratulations - Mayur Vaidya’s (PhD Alumni) paper “High entropy alloys by mechanical alloying: A review” got accepted in Journal of Materials Research (2019).
- Congratulations - Anirudha Karati's (PhD Scholar) paper "Thermal stability of AlCoFeMnNi high-entropy alloy" got accepted in Scripta Materialia (2018).
- Congratulations to Prof B.S Murty on being elected as a Fellow of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).
- Congratulations to Lava Kumar (Project staff) for securing admission in the University of British Columbia, Canada for PhD.
- Congratulations to Ch. S. Rama Linga Prasad, an alumnus of our group (MTech, IITM 2009), for being the first ranker among 450 Patent Examiners recruited by Indian Patent Office.
- Congratulations to Prof B.S. Murty for getting selected for the "JC Bose National Fellowship".
- Congratulations to D. Vivek for securing admission in Max Planck Institute for Iron Research, Düsseldorf, Germany for PhD under Dr Christian Liebscher.
- Congratulations to Sushanth Kombattula for securing admission in Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden for MS.
Welcome to Advanced Materials Research group of Prof. B.S. Murty at the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, IIT Madras. This site will give you an idea of our group and its activities.
Our group is basically a physical metallurgy group, interested in structure property correlations in various advanced materials for structural and functional applications. The materials that we deal with are mostlynanocrystalline or amorphous (bulk metallic glasses) in nature. Among the nanocrystalline materials, the group’s interests are in developing high strength nanocomposites for both ambient and high temperature applications, nano coatings and functional nanocomposites for energy harvesting (piezoelectric), energy storage (magnetic), energy conversion (thermoelectric), sensor and actuator (magneto-electric) applications. In case of bulk metallic glasses our interest is mainly to predict best glass forming compositions through thermodynamic and topological modelling and their experimental validation. We also work on high strength Al alloys through grain refinement & modification and Al based in-situ composites for transport sector for energy conservation through light weighting.
Another very important area on which a large section of the group is focused is a new class of materials, namely, High entropy alloys. Here our interests range from predicting the phase formation through thermodynamic and kinetic modelling to synthesis of nano HEAs, refractory HEAs, HEA coatings. We are also interested in understanding the properties of HEAs such mechanical, thermal, diffusion, corrosion, oxidation, magnetic behaviour and phase transformations in these advanced materials.
Our group is specialised in non-equilibrium processing of materials through high energy ball milling (mechanical alloying) and rapid solidification processing. Most of the nanocrystalline materials developed in the group are consolidated through spark plasma sintering. We attempt to understand the materials through a number of advanced characterization tools such as transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography.
We hope you would enjoy your tour through our group’s activities. If you have any comments/queries please feel free to contact Prof. Murty at murty @ iitm.ac.in