- Welding metallurgy
- Welding processes development
- Steels product development
- In-situ 3D synchrotron X-ray diffraction
- Additive manufacturing
Nov 2022 – till date: Associate Professor
Jan 2016 – Oct 2022: Assistant Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Amirthalingam M., Van Den Aa E.M., Kwakernaak C., Hermans M.J.M. and Richardson I.M.; Elemental segregation during resistance spot welding of boron containing advanced high strength steels; Welding in Weld World 59 (2015) 743-755.
- Dutta R.K., Huizenga R.M., Gao H., Amirthalingam M., King A., Hermans M.J.M. and Richardson I.M.; Anisotropy in thermal expansion of bainitic ferrite; Metall. Mater. Trans. 45 A (2014) 5281-5285.
- Gao H., Dutta R.K., Huizenga R.M., Amirthalingam M., Hermans M.J.M., Buslaps T. and Richardson I.M.; Stress relaxation due to ultrasonic impact treatment on multi-pass welds; Sci. Technol. Weld. Joi. 19 (2014) 505-513.
- Gao H., Dutta R.K.,Huizenga R.M., Amirthalingam M., Herman M.J.M., Buslaps T. and Richardson I. M.; Pass-by-pass stress evolution in multi-pass weld; Sci. Technol. Weld. Joi.19 (2014) 256-264.
- Dutta R.K., Huizenga R.M., Amirthalingam M., King A., Gao H., Hermans M.J.M. and Richardson I.M.; In-situ synchrotron diffraction studies on hot deformation of austenite in a high strength quenched and tempered structural steel; Adv. Mat. Res. 922 (2014) 126-131.
- Dutta R.K., Amirthalingam M., Hermans M.J.M. and Richardson I.M.; Kinetics of bainitic transformation and transformation plasticity in a high strength quenched and tempered structural steel; Mater. Sci. Eng. A 559 (2013) 86-95.
- Dutta R.K., Huizenga R.M., Amirthalingam M. , King A., Gao H., Hermans M.J.M. and Richardson I.M.; In situ synchrotron diffraction studies on the temperature-dependent plane-specific elastic constants in a highstrength quenched and tempered structural steel; Scripta Mater. 69 (2013) 187-190.
- Implicit microstructural modelling of solid state phase transformations during welding, New faculty initiation grant, IIT-Madras.
- Weld repair of XH43 and XH67 superalloy castings, ISRO, as a Co-PI.
- Bainite transformation kinetics of bearing steels, IC project, NBC bearings.
Awards & Recognitions
- First and only recipient of “Welding torch of honour” for academic contributions to the welding technology group of Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, until Dec 2015.
- Kenneth easterling best paper award from International Institute of Welding (IIW) in 2015.
- Part of the team that successfully designed and fabricated a high temperature 3D-XRD furnace for in- situ experiments at ID11 of European Synchrotron Radiation Facility.
- PhD thesis was nominated for Henry Granjon prize from the Netherlands for the best thesis in the category of “Metallurgy of Welding” in 2010.