Dr. Bhuvanesh Srinivasan joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at IIT-Madras as Assistant Professor in June 2022. Before joining IIT Madras, Bhuvanesh was a JSPS postdoctoral fellow (2019 – 2022) at the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba, Japan. At NIMS, he was hosted at the French-Japanese international platform, LINK, a joint research unit established in partnership between CNRS, Saint-Gobain, and NIMS. Prior to his tenure at NIMS, he was a Marie-Curie Ph.D. fellow at the CNRS-University of Rennes 1, France (2015 – 2018). During his Ph.D., he carried out secondment periods of a few months at Nanoforce Technology Ltd., Queen Mary University of London, U.K. He pursued his Erasmus Mundus Master’s program in Materials Science (2013 – 2015) jointly from the Technical University of Munich (TUM) and Ludwig Maximilian University (LMU), Munich, Germany. During his Erasmus Mundus Masters, he spent a couple of mobility/exchange periods at ETH-Zurich (3 months) and EPFL-Lausanne (6 months), Switzerland. Bhuvanesh obtained his Bachelor of Engineering in Materials Science (2009 – 2013) from the College of Engineering Guindy (CEG), Anna University, Chennai. His research is focused on thermoelectric materials and devices for energy harvesting applications
Selected Journal Publications
- A.R. Muchtar, B. Srinivasan*, S.L. Tonquesse, S. Singh, N. Soelami, B. Yuliarto, D. Berthebaud, T. Mori, Physical Insights on the Lattice Softening Driven Mid-Temperature Range Thermoelectrics of Ti/Zr-Inserted SnTe—An Outlook Beyond the Horizons of Conventional Phonon Scattering and Excavation of Heikes’ Equation for Estimating Carrier Properties, Adv. Energy Mater. 11 (2021) 2101122. (journal front cover)
- B. Srinivasan, S. Le Tonquesse, A. Gellé, C. Bourgès, L. Monier, I. Ohkubo, J.-F. Halet, D. Berthebaud, T. Mori, Screening of transition (Y, Zr, Hf, V, Nb, Mo, Ru) and rare-earth (La, Pr) elements as potential effective dopants for thermoelectric GeTe – an experimental & theoretical appraisal, J. Mater. Chem. A 8 (2020) 19805-19821. (Themed as HOT paper & journal front cover)
- C. Bourgès, B. Srinivasan*, B. Fontaine, P. Sauerschnig, A. Minard, J.-F. Halet, Y. Miyazaki, D. Berthebaud, T. Mori, Tailoring the thermoelectric and structural properties of Cu-Sn based thiospinel compounds [CuM1+xSn1−xS4 (M = Ti, V, Cr, Co)], J. Mater. Chem. C. 8 (2020) 16368-16383. (journal back cover)
- B. Srinivasan*, A. Gellé, F. Gucci, C. Boussard-Pledel, B. Fontaine, R. Gautier, J.-F. Halet, M.J. Reece, B. Bureau, Realizing a Stable High Thermoelectric zT ∼ 2 over a Broad Temperature Range in Ge1-x-yGaxSbyTe via Band Engineering and Hybrid Flash-SPS Processing, Inorg. Chem. Front. 6 (2019) 63-73.
- B. Srinivasan, S. Cui, C. Prestipino, A. Gellé, C. Boussard-Pledel, S. Ababou-Girard, A. Trapananti, B. Bureau, S. Di Matteo, Possible Mechanism for Hole Conductivity in Cu-As-Te Thermoelectric Glasses: A XANES and EXAFS Study, J. Phys. Chem. C 121 (2017) 14045-14050.
Thermoelectric Materials and Devices
Glasses and ceramics
Awards & Recognitions
ICYS Promising Young Researcher Award (NIMS, Japan), March 2021
Bernard Coqblin Prize (for the best Ph.D. thesis), Jan 2020
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2019 – 2021
Marie-Curie Ph.D. Fellowship, 2015 – 2018