- Phase field modelling of solidification
- Solidification of undercooled melts
- Thermal field and distortion analysis during welding
- Laser based additive manufacturing
- Integrated computational materials engineering
Feb 2005 – Jun 2010: Assistant Professor
Jun 2010 – Nov 2015: Associate Professor
Nov 2015 – till date: Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Jaiswal U, Krishna YV, Rahul MR and Phanikumar G, “Machine learning-enabled identification of new medium to high entropy alloys with solid solution phases”, Computational Materials Science. Vol. 197, (2021) 110623
- Shah N, Rahul M and Phanikumar G, “Accelerated design of eutectic high entropy alloys by ICME approach”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 52 (2021) 1574-1580.
- Baler N, Pandey P, Palanisamy D, Makineni SK, Phanikumar G and Chattopadhyay K, “On the effect of W addition on microstructural evolution and gamma-prime precipitate coarsening in a Co-30Ni-10Al-5Mo-2Ta-2Ti alloy”, Materialia. Vol. 10, (2020) pp. 100632.
- John DM and Phanikumar G, “ICME Framework for Simulation of Microstructure and Property Evolution During Gas Metal Arc Welding in DP980 Steel”, Integrating Materials and Manufacturing Innovation, 9 (2020) 228-239.
- Rahul M, Samal S, Marshal A, Balaji VN, Pradeep K and Phanikumar G, “Nano-sized Cu clusters in deeply undercooled CoCuFeNiTa high entropy alloy”, Scripta Materialia. Vol. 177, (2020) pp. 58-64.
- Farivar H, Deepu M, Hans M, Phanikumar G, Bleck W and Prahl U, “Influence of post-carburizing heat treatment on the core microstructural evolution and the resulting mechanical properties in case-hardened steel components”, Materials Science and Engineering A. Vol. 744, (2019) pp. 778-789.
- Repository of High Performance Phase-Field Solvers for Microstructure Simulation (MicroSim), National Supercomputing Mission (2021-2023).
- National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development (2018-2023).
Awards & Recognitions
- Metallurgist of the Year award from the Ministry of Steel and Mines conferred during the National Metallurgists Day of the Indian Institute of Metals on November 14, 2019.
- SAFRAN -French Embassy special prize in 2008.
- Young Metallurgist of the year from the Ministry of Steel, Govt. of India in 2005.
- Research fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany from 2003-2005