- Metal forming processes
- Severe plastic deformation processes
- Aluminium, magnesium and titanium alloys
- Metallic biomaterials
Sep 1998 – Jun 2006: Assistant Professor
Jun 2006 – Jun 2010: Associate Professor
Jun 2010 – till date: Professor
Selected Journal Publications
- Manda P., Ghoshal P., Uday Chakkingal and Singh A.K.; Effect of alloying elements in hot rolled metastable beta titanium alloys, Part I: Evolution of microstructure and texture; Metall. Mater. Trans. A 46 (2015) 2646-2663 .
- Basavaraj V. Patil, Uday Chakkingal and Prasannna Kumar T.S.; Effect of geometric parameters on strain, strain inhomogeneity and peak pressure in equal channel angular pressing; J. Manuf. Process. 17 (2015) 88-97.
- Manda P., Uday Chakkingal and Singh A.K.; Hardness characteristics and shear band formation in metastable beta titanium alloys; Mater. Charact. 96 (2014) 151-157.
- Ratna Sunil B., Ganapathy C., Sampath Kumar T.S. and Uday Chakkingal; Processing and mechanical behaviour of lamellar structured degradable magnesium-hydroxyapatite implants; J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 40 (2014) 178-179.
- Ratna Sunil B., Sampath Kumar T.S., Uday Chakkingal, Nandakumar V. and Mukesh Doble; Friction stir processing of magnesium nano hydroxy apatite composites with controlled in vitro degradation behaviour; Mater. Sci. Eng. C 39 (2014) 315-324.
- Ganesh Niranjan G. and Uday Chakkingal; Deep drawability of commercial purity aluminium sheets processed by groove pressing; J. Mater. Process. Tech. 210 (2010) 1511-1516.
- Yoon S.C., Krishnaiah A., Uday Chakkingal and Kim H.S.; Severe plastic deformation and strain localisation in groove pressing; Comp. Mater. Sci. 494 (2008) 641-645.
- Fatigue behaviour of an ultrafine grained aluminium alloy processed by equal channel angular pressing, DST, 2011-2015.
- Development of a severe plastic deformation process for producing ultrafine grained high strength Al alloys, NRB, 2007-2009.
- Development of intelligent mill set-up model for adaptive and dynamic control of plate mill, Bhilai Steel Plant, RDCIS, 2005-2008.
- Applicability of equal channel angular pressing to the processing of Al alloys, DST, 2002-2006.
Awards & Recognitions
- Best paper award at International conference and expo on magnesium (iMagCon 2016) (Arun M.S. and Uday Chakkingal) in 2016.
- Second prize in metal science category at 57th annual technical meeting of the Indian Institute of Metals (K. Kumaran,T. Leo and Uday Chakkingal) in 2003.