Direct PhD

Duration: 5 years with fellowship

Entrance: Written exam and interview conducted by the department twice a year in May and November

Eligibility Criteria: B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc with valid GATE score or CSIR/UGC NET/ NBHM or equivalent. A minimum CGPA of 8.0 with GATE score for students from non CFTI institutions. For students from CFTI institutions, GATE score is not required, if CGPA is 8.0 or above.


  • The overall credit requirement is 72 credits which comprises 45 core course credits, 27 elective course credits and a mandatory course on research methodology.
  • Students are awarded both MS and PhD degrees, for which two additional courses need to be completed.

Direct PhD program is aimed at students with only a B.Tech(B.Sc+M.Sc) degree. It is intended that students with an interest in pursuing a research based career apply for this program.

The procedure for admission to this program is described below:

  • Students with a CGPA of at least 8 or equivalent and a valid GATE* score apply direct to IITM.
  • Those satisfying certain minimum departmental criteria will notified to appear for a written exam in conducted at IITM by the dept.
  • Those who are clear the written exam are then interviewed.
  • Those who clear both the written exam and the interview are then offered admission.

* Students with a B.Tech from Centrally Funded Technical Institutes(CFTI) with a CGPA of 8 and above are exempt for GATE score. CFTI are typically IITs, NITs.

Generally, for admissions in July semester, the deadline for applications is around April and the written exam and interview are conducted sometime in May.

The written exam is for a duration of one and half hours and consists of only multiple choice or fill in the blank type questions. 80% of the questions will cover all the subject areas of metallurgical and materials engineering equally and the remaining 20% cover general engineering, mathematics, and sciences.