- Transport phenomena in soft matter and complex fluids
- Photoresponsive and functional polymers
- Colloids and dispersions
- Interfacial wetting and fluid instabilities
- Nanostructured ceramics
2022 - till date
2015 - 2022
AboutDr Sreeram K. Kalpathy joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at IIT Madras as Assistant Professor in Oct 2015. Prior to this, he worked as a faculty member at the National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NIT-K), Surathkal, India. Sreeram received his PhD from the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the University of Minnesota, the USA, and B.Tech + M.Tech (Dual Degree) in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from IIT Madras.
Research in Sreeram's group involves the integration of various sub-fields of soft matter such as polymer chemistry, polymer physics, colloids, interfacial phenomena, dynamics of liquids with complex rheology and fluid instabilities to address problems in materials processing. Some significant research outcomes from his group have been the synthesis of photoresponsive polymers with illustration in light-assisted micropatterning, model development for prediction of coating flow dynamics over permeable and porous solids, and discovering fluid mechanical routes for stabilization of liquid films and emulsions by employing surface active materials.
Selected Journal Publications
- A. Gupta, T. R. Adithyan, S. K. Kalpathy, T. Thomas, Analysis of non-noble plasmonic enhanced solar distillation using computed optical activities, Desalination, 541, 115999: 1-12 (2022) .
- R. Sathyanath, A. Aarthi, S. K. Kalpathy, Features of Colloidal Silica Deposits Dip Coated onto Porous Alumina Membranes from Aqueous Suspensions, Colloid and Interface Science Communications. 45, 100526:1-9 (2021) .
- S. Erekkath, S. K. Kalpathy, Light-assisted Self-Organization and Pattern Formation in Thin Films of Azobenzene-Containing Polyurea, Optics & Laser Technology 143, 107288, (2021).
Young Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, IIT Madras
Best Paper Award in the track of Experimental and Theoretical Fluid Flow at International Conference on Fluids and Chemical Engineering (FluidsChe2015) Langkawi, Malaysia