- Creep behaviour of light alloys, superalloys, high entropy alloys (HEA) and additively manufactured (AM) high-temperature structural materials
- Understanding the deformation mechanisms in structural materials and welds at high temperature and their creep rupture life prediction
- Synthesis of advanced alloys and nanocrystalline materials, understand their alloying and deformation behaviour over a wide range of temperatures (RT to 0.8 Tm)
- Hot working mechanisms and development of processing maps for various structural materials
2021 - Till date
2016 - 2021
2007 - 2016
AboutAfter graduating from IISc in 2005 and having a post-doctoral experience at KIT, Germany, Ravi Sankar Kottada joined as an Assistant Professor in late 2007. His expertise is in the broad research area of high-temperature deformation and high-temperature degradation mechanisms in various structural materials, including high entropy alloys, advanced superalloys, Mg-base alloys, weldments, and additively manufactured high-performance alloys.
His constant endeavour to develop a world-class laboratory with state-of-the-art high-temperature mechanical testing facilities to work on high-temperature structural materials for defence and energy sectors has led to an advanced high-temperature mechanical testing lab at IIT Madras. His group has developed various in-house-built infrastructures for research, with 25+ years of research experience in the field of high-temperature deformation. To name a few, an in-house-built low-cost yet versatile horizontal creep frame to study the deformation behaviour of small length scale specimens and light alloys at very low stresses. Interestingly, rare-earth-free creep-resistant Mg-base alloys developed in his lab are the best in their class, and thei...
Selected Journal Publications
- Ameey Anupam, Andrew SM Ang, K. Guruvidyathri, Musharaf Abbas, D. Sivaprahasam, Paul Munroe, C. C. Berndt, B. S. Murty, and Ravi Sankar Kottada, Evaluating the influence of microstructural attributes: Fraction, composition, size and spatial distribution of phases on the oxidation behaviour of high-entropy alloys, Corrosion Science 184 (2021): 109381.
- Meghwal, Ashok, Ameey Anupam, B. S. Murty, Christopher C. Berndt, Ravi Sankar Kottada and Andrew Siao Ming Ang, Thermal spray high-entropy alloy coatings: A review, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 29 (2020): 857-893.
- Koundinya, N. T. B. N., and Ravi Sankar Kottada, Achieving exceptional creep resistance in rare-earth-free Mg-base alloys by engineering the shape, size and fraction of eutectic particles and precipitates, Scripta Materialia 162 (2019): 121-126.
Top reviewers award in the field of Materials Science (Publons and Web of Science)
Best presentation award for the paper titled â€œMicrostructural characteristics and creep behaviour of T92/SUPER304H dissimilar welds subjected to 1000 hours of ageing at 650 °C authored by Nandha Kumar E, G D Janakiram, R. S. Kottada and Devakumaran during International congress - 2017 of the international institute of welding