- Metal foams and porous materials
- Physics of metal foaming
- X-ray tomography
- Directional solidification
- Additive manufacturing
2021 - till date
2012 - 2021
AboutDr Manas Mukherjee obtained his PhD from the Technical University Berlin, Germany, in 2008. He worked on the solidification of metal foams. Before that, he received his M.Sc. (Engg.) in Metallurgy from the Indian Institute of Science Bangalore in 2005 and B.Tech. in Ceramic Technology from the University of Calcutta in 2002. After his PhD, he did his post-doctoral research at the Helmholtz-Centre Berlin for Materials and Energy and the Technical University Berlin. After seven years of stay in Germany, he returned to India in 2012 and joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, IIT Madras, as Assistant Professor 2012. Currently, he is an Associate Professor in the same department. His research interest includes the processing and characterising of porous materials, especially metal foams. He also worked in directional solidification and additive manufacturing.
Selected Journal Publications
- K. Georgy, K. C. Hari Kumar, M. Mukherjee, Optimization of Mg blowing agent content for foaming aluminium, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B 53(2022) 1089-1102.
- J. Barode, U. Aravind, S. Bhogi, B. Muduli, M. Mukherjee, Mg and Mg-based blowing agents for aluminium foam, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 52(2021) 292-304.
- K. Georgy, L. Neelakantan, K.C. Hari Kumar, M. Mukherjee, Influence of Cu, Zn and Si alloying elements on Al foams produced using Mg blowing agent., Journal of Materials Science, 56(2021) 2612-2630.