- Welding metallurgy
- Welding processes development
- Steels product development
- In-situ 3D synchrotron X-ray diffraction
- Additive manufacturing
2022 - till date
2016 - 2022
AboutDr Murugaiyan Amirthalingam has been working as an assistant professor in the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (MME), IIT-Madras, since 2016. He is currently the head of joining and additive manufacturing laboratory, faculty in charge of Gleeble-Thermomechanical simulation laboratory and Physical Metallurgy Laboratory in the department of MME, IIT-Madras. He supervises 11 PhD and 4 MS students in joining and additive manufacturing. His research area of interest includes welding process development, welding metallurgy, metal additive manufacturing, hydrogen embrittlement and 3D synchrotron X-ray diffraction.
Before joining IIT-Madras, he was a post-doctoral researcher in the Materials Science and Engineering department, faculty of MME, Delft University of Technology (TU-Delft), The Netherlands, from 2009 to 2015 and a PhD researcher from 2005 to 2009 in the same department in TU-Delft, The Netherlands.
He received the Kenneth Easterling award in 2015 from the International Institute of Welding (IIW) for contributing to the mathematical modelling of weld phenomena. He also received the Dr Placid Rodriguez's memorial lecture award and IT Mirchand...
Selected Journal Publications
- Chandrasekaran, S., Hari, S., Amirthalingam, M, Functionally graded materials for marine risers by additive manufacturing for high-temperature applications: Experimental investigations, Structures, 35, 2022, pp. 931- 938.
- Sadasivam, P., Amirthalingam, M, Design and fabrication of micro-plasma transferred wire arc additive manufacturing system, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 37,2022, pp. 185-195.
- Tiwari, J., Balaji, V., Krishnaswamy, H., Amirthalingam, M, Dislocation density based modelling of electrically assisted deformation process by finite element approach, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 227, 2022, art. no. 107433.
First and only recipient of Welding torch of honour for academic contributions to the welding technology group of Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
Kenneth easterling best paper award from International Institute of Welding