- Deformation processing of structural alloys
- Microstructure-mechanical property correlations in structural alloys
- Transmission electron microscopy
2018 - Till date
2012 - 2018
2007 - 2012
AboutDr S. Sankaran joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at IIT Madras as Assistant Professor in April 2007. Before this, he had completed a 3-year stint as a post-doctoral research associate at the University of Louisiana at Lafyette, USA. Sankaran received his PhD in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering from IIT Kanpur in 2005 and his M.E. in Metallurgical Engineering (Materials Science) from REC Trichy (currently NIT) in 1996. He obtained his M.Sc in chemistry from Manonmanium University, Tirunelveli, in 1994. Before joining IIT Kanpur, he also had a 4-year stint in the industry as Assistant Manager-Metallurgy at India Forge and Drop Stampings Ltd. Chennai and Pune.
Sankaran's research interests are in the field of deformation processing of structural alloys and microstructure-mechanical property correlations in advanced high-strength steels, Ni-base super alloys, and titanium alloys. He has expertise in transmission electron microscopy for analyzing materials' microstructures, interfaces, and grain boundaries.
Selected Journal Publications
- N. Iniyan Thiruselvam, R. Jeyaraam, S.J. Subramanian, S. Sankaran, Deformation heterogeneity in copper oligocrystals using high-resolution stereo DIC, Materialia, Vol. 18, 2021.
- N. Maheswari, Murugaiyan Amirthalingam, Alexander Schwedt, Heinz GÃ¼nter Brokmeier, Norbert Schell, Joachim Mayer, K.C. Hari Kumar and S.Sankaran, Temperature-dependent partitioning mechanisms and its associated microstructural evolution in a CMnSiAl quenching and partitioning (Q&P) steel, Mater. Today Comm.,Vol. 29, 2021, 102918.
- Hongbo Zhou, Sven Hilke, Eloi Pineda, Martin Peterlechner, Yuriy Chushkin, Sankaran Shanmugam and Gerhard Wilde, X-ray photon correlation spectroscopy revealing the change of relaxation dynamics of a severely deformed Pd-based bulk metallic glass, Acta Materialia, 2020, Volume 195, 15, 2020, 446-453.
DAAD visiting scientist fellowship
Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for experienced researchers