- Microstructure-properties correlations
- Microstructural engineering.
- Alloy design and development
2018 - Till Date
2010 - 2018
2004 - 2010
AboutDr. SubramanyaSarma obtained his Ph.D from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras in 1999. He was awarded the prestigious Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Germany in 2000 to do research at the Institute for Solid State and Materials Research (IFW), Dresden. Germany. Subsequently, he worked as Staff Scientist at the same institute till June 2004. He worked on development of textured substrates for coated superconductor applications. He joined his alma mater in the department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering as an Assistant Professor in July 2004. He was awarded the Indo US Science and Technology Fellowship in 2009 and spent an year at the North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA. There he worked on mechanical properties of ultrafine grained and nanostructured materials. He became an associate professor in 2010 and a full Professor in 2008. He is in-charge of the scanning electron microscope facility at IIT Madras since 2005.
Selected Journal Publications
- AK Patra, CN Athreya, S Mandal, KC Hari Kumar, V SubramanyaSarma, High strength-high ductility medium Mn steel obtained through CALPHAD-based alloy design and thermos mechanical processing. , Materials Science and Engineering A 810, 140756, 2021.
- PS De, AVuppuluri, SS Vadlamani, S Vedantam, A physically based model of the effect of recovery and clustering on recrystallization kinetics. , Journal of Materials Science 56 (11), 7082-7093, 2021.
- TS Prithiv, P Bhuyan, SK Pradhan, VS Sarma, S Mandal, A critical evaluation of the efficacy of recrystallization vs strain-induced boundary migration in achieving grain boundary engineered microstructure in a Ni-base superalloy. , ActaMaterialia 146, 187-201.
Institute Research and Development Award (IRDA) (Mid-career) (awarded by IIT Madras)
2017 and 2019
Best reviewer award by Springer for the Journal â€œTransactions of the Indian Institute of Metals