- Processing of Ceramic & Composite Materials
- Biomorphic Ceramics
- Ceramic Membranes
- Non-oxide Ceramics
- Polymer Nanocomposites and Natural Fiber Composites
2000 - 2006
2006 - 2010
2010 - Till date
AboutDr. Balasubramanian joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at IIT Madras as Assistant Professor in November 2000 and became Associate Professor in April 2006 and Professor in June 2010. Prior to this he was working as a Lecturer in the Department of Ceramic Technology, Anna University, Chennai for five years. Balasubramanian received his PhD in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering from IIT Madras, ME in Materials Science from NIT, Thiruchirapalli and MSc in Chemistry from Madurai Kamaraj University.
Balasubramanian's research interest lies in the area of ceramic and composite materials. He has expertise in the development of polymer nanocomposites and natural fibre reinforced composites. His group is also involved in the development of tough SiC composites, mullite membranes and biomorphic oxide and non-oxide ceramics and composites. A book written by him on, Composite Materials and Processing and published by CRC Press is well received by international community.
Selected Journal Publications
- Ummen Sabu, CN Shyam Kumar, G Logesh, Mohammed Rashad, Georgian Melinte, Anand Joy, Christian Kabel, M Balasubramanian, On the formation of alpha-alumina single crystal platelets through eggshell membrane bio-templating, Scripta Materialia, 195 (2021) 113716.
- Mohammed Rashad, G. Logesh, Ummen Sabu, and M. Balasubramanian, Development of porous mullite and mullite-Al2O3 composite for microfiltration membrane applications, separation and Purification Technology, 219 (July 2019) 74-81.
- Mangesh Lodhe, Niraj Chawake, Devinder Yadav and M. Balasubramanian, On correlation between transformation and densification mechanisms in SiC during spark plasma sintering, Scripta Materialia, 115 (1 April 2016) 137-140.
Oral presentation on, Development of ceramic membrane support by centrifugal casting technique, authored by K. Mohammed Rashad and M.Balasubramanian, has received the best paper award at the International symposium for research scholars on metallurgy, materials science & engineering, held at Chennai
Oral presentation on, Effect of SiCp on the dry sliding wear behaviour of Al-Si/SiCp composites produced by stir casting, authored by S.Dhanalakshmi, N.Balasubramani, P.Sivakumar, R.Gnanamoorthy and M.Balasubramanian, has received the first prize at the National seminar on Advanced materials for hostile environment-Present scenario and future perspectives held at Thiruvananthapuram