- Nanocrystalline oxide ceramics synthesis and characterisation
- High entropy oxides (HEOs) rocksalt, spinel, perovskite etc
- Gas-phase (FSP & NSP) and wet chemical synthesis
- Functional properties of nanoceramic oxides
- Superplasticity and metal forming
1998 - 2004
2004 - 2009
2009 - Till date
AboutProf. S.S. Bhattacharya was the 1st rank holder in the Bachelor of Technology program in Metallurgical Engineering of IIT Madras in 1985. He registered for a direct PhD in Metallurgical Engineering in 1985 in superplasticity and superplastic deformation. Subsequently, he joined the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department of IIT Madras as a permanent employee in January 1991. In 1996 he was awarded the Young Engineer Award of the INAE. In 1998 he won the coveted research fellowship (Forschunsstipendium) of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, for which he spent two years in Germany on a sabbatical working in the area of nanocrystalline materials. Since 2009 he has been a professor in the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering.
His current interests lie in the area of gas-phase and wet-chemical synthesis as well as functional characterization of nanocrystalline multicomponent equimolar high entropy oxides (HEOs), a recent field which has been garnering a lot of attention. Constant research collaborations with the Institute of Nanotechnology, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, over the past two decades have led to a large number of stu...
Selected Journal Publications
- Nandhini J Usharani, Harshil Sanghavi and Subramshu S. Bhattacharya, Factors influencing phase formation and band gap studies of a novel multicomponent high entropy (Co, Cu, Mg, Ni, Zn)2TiO4 orthotitanate spinel, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2021, Vol. 888, 16390.
- Nandhini J. Usharani, Anikesh Bhandarikar, Sankaran Subramanian and Subramshu S. Bhattacharya, Antiferromagnetism in a nanocrystalline high entropy oxide (Co,Cu,Mg,Ni,Zn)O: Magnetic constituents and surface anisotropy leading to lattice distortion, Acta Materialia, 2020, Vol 200, pp 526-536.
- Abhishek Sarkar, Qingsong Wang, Alexander Schiele, Mohammed Reda Chellali, Subramshu S. Bhattacharya, Di Wang, Torsten Brezesinski, Horst Hahn, Leonardo Velasco, Ben Breitung, High Entropy Oxides: Fundamental Aspects and Electrochemical Properties, Advanced Materials, 2019, Vol. 1806236 (pp 1-9).
Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (Forschungsstipendium) of the AvH Foundation, Germany
Young Engineer India award of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, INAE