- Materials Informatics
- Materials modeling
- Autonomous AI-driven materials laboratory
- Sustainable polymer design
- Overcoming human bias using AI
2022 - Till date
AboutDr. Rohit Batra joined the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at IIT Madras as Assistant Professor in July 2022. Prior to this, he had completed two Post-doctoral doctoral appointments, one at the Center for Nanoscale Materials, Argonne National Lab, and the other at the School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology. Rohit received his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Connecticut and B.Tech. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering from IIT Roorkee. Before joining IIT Madras, he also had a 4-month stint at Rivian Automotive LLC R&D lab for cell manufacturing and battery development.
Rohit's research interest lies in the area of combining computational and data-driven methods to design new materials. He has expertise in first-principles electronic structure methods, molecular dynamics simulations, and many machine learning (ML) based techniques, particularly geared towards the general field of chemical and materials science.
Selected Journal Publications
- R. Batra, Accurate machine learning in materials science facilitated by using diverse data sources, Nature, 589, 524(2021) (doi.org/10.1038/d41586-020-03259-4).
- R. Batra, L. Song, R. Ramprasad, Emerging materials intelligence ecosystems propelled by machine learning, Nature Review Materials, (2020) (doi.org/10.1038/s41578-020-00255-y).
- R. Batra, H. Dai, T. D. Huan, L. Chen, C. Kim, W. R. Gutekunst, L. Song, R. Ramprasad, Polymers for extreme conditions designed using syntax-directed variational autoencoders, Chemistry of Materials, 32 (24), 10489 (2020)..
IEEE Chicago Early Career Award in Nanotechnology
GE Graduate Fellowship for Innovation