- Surface engg., thermal spray coatings, laser cladding, etc.
- High temp. mech. behaviour of aerospace & power plant materials
- Hot-corrosion of high temperature superalloys
- Welding metallurgy of light metals, Cr-Mo steels, etc
- Synthesis and characterisation of nanomaterials
- Failure analysis of industrial components
2009 - till date
2006 - 2009
2000 - 2006
AboutProf. Dr M. Kamaraj is currently a professor in the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras), Chennai, India. After completing his PhD at I.I.T. Madras, he worked as Research Engineer at EWAC Alloys Ltd (Larsen & Toubro Ltd.) Mumbai. After his exposure to the industry, Prof Kamaraj continued his research on high temperature fretting fatigue of TiAl intermetallics and steel at the Nagaoka University of Technology and the National Institute of Industrial Safety (NIIS) in Japan. He was a Guest Scientist at Ruhr-University Bochum, Bochum, Germany, where he worked on identifying high-temperature micro-deformation mechanisms of single crystal superalloys. On his return, he served as a visiting scientist at VSSC, Trivandrum, India, and later joined as faculty at I.I.T Madras. Recently Prof. Kamaraj established Cold Spray Technology at IIT Madras (SMART Lab) in collaboration with General Electric (GE) Bangalore.
He has more than 25 years of teaching, research, and industrial experience in surface engineering, Tribology, welding, and mechanical behaviour of materials with and without welded joints. Prof. Kamaraj...
Selected Journal Publications
- Mannava V., Swaminathan A.V., Kamaraj M. and Ravi Sankar Kottada, An innovative spraying setup to obtain uniform salt (s) mixture deposition to investigate hot corrosion, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 87 (2016) 025107.
- Omprakash C.M., Srivathsa B., Kamaraj M. and Satyanarayana D.V.V, Creep damage evaluation of DS CM247 nickel base superalloy using alternate current potential drop technique, Trans. Ind. Inst. Met. 69 (2016) 241-245.
- Manikandan K., Sivakumar D., Rao K.P. and Kamaraj M, Laves phase in alloy 718 fusion zone-microscopic and calorimetric studies, Mater. Charct. 100 (2015)192-206..
Certificate of Merit for International activities by division of materials and processing of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers
Honorary Fellow Member by Indian Welding Society, New Delhi