- Advanced High Strength Steels.
- Metallic biomaterials.
- Severe plastic deformation processes.
- Sheet metal Forming.
2010 - till date
2006 - 2010:
1998 - 2006:
AboutDr. Uday Chakkingal received his Ph.D from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), NY, USA in 1994. After postdoctoral research at RPI and at Monash University, Australia, he joined IIT Madras as a faculty member in 1998. Currently he is a Professor in the Department. He has worked extensively on severe plastic deformation processes for the production of ultra fine grained microstructures in aluminium, magnesium and titanium alloys. His current research interests are in the areas of sheet metal forming and sheet formability, stretch flangeability, advanced high strength steels, metallic biomaterials, etc. He has guided 14 Ph.D and 9 M.S. students so far. He also serves as consultant for several industries.
Selected Journal Publications
- Aravind, U, Chakkingal, U, Venugopal, P, A review of fine blanking: Influence of die design and process parameters on edge quality , J. Materials Engineering and Performance 30 (2021) 1-32.
- Balisetty V, Chakkingal U, Venugopal, S, Evaluation of stretch flangeability of dual phase steels by hole expansion test, Intl. J of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 114 (2021) 205-217.
- Prasad, K, Venkatesh B. Krishnaswamy, H, Banerjee, D.K., Chakkingal U, On the interplay of friction and stress relaxation to improve the stretch flangeability of dual phase (DP) steels, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology 32 (2021) 154-169.
Elected Fellow of the Indian Institute of Metals