- Nanocrystalline materials
- High entropy alloys
- Bulk metallic glasses
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of phase transformations
- Transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography
2004 - till date
AboutProf. B.S. Murty is an Institute Professor and Girija & R. Muralidharan Chair Professor at the department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, IIT Madras, India. His academic journey started with a Diploma in Metallurgy in 1983 followed by BE from VRCE Nagpur in 1986 and ME from IISc Bangalore in 1988. He obtained his PhD (1992) also from IISc, Bangalore. After serving at IIT Kharagpur for 12 years, he has been a Professor at IIT Madras since 2004. He is also currently an Adjunct Professor at Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada since 2011 and also an Associate faculty of School of Engineering, University of British Columbia, Canada since 2016.
Selected Journal Publications
- Ajeet K. Srivastav, Joysurya Basu, Sanjay Kashyap, Niraj Chawake, Devinder Yadav and Murty B.S., Crystallographic-shear-phase-driven W O nanowires growth on nanocrystalline W surfaces, Scripta Mater. 18 49 115 (2016) 28-32.
- Arvind Babu D., Majumdar B., Sarkar R., Murty B.S. and Chattopadhyay K., On the structural stability of melt spun ribbons of Fe Zr B Cu 95-x x 4 1(x = 7 and 9) alloys and correlation with their magnetic properties, Metall. Mater. Trans. 47A (2016) 560-571.
- Chattopadhyay C. and Murty B.S., Kinetic modification of the confusion principle for metallic glass formation, Scripta Mater. 116 (2016) 7-10.
Member, SERB Distinguished Investigator Award (DIA) committee
INAE Outstanding Teacher Award